• Brilliant Al Leamy Art Deco design
• ACD Club Certified #A278
• Columbia two-speed rear axle
• A welcome participant in ACD events and tours
210 cid inline six-cylinder rated at 85 HP; three-speed manual with two-speed rear axle; four-wheel hydraulic brakes with power assist; wheelbase: 119”
In 1874, Charles Eckhart moved to Auburn, Indiana and established the Eckhart Carriage Company eventually retiring and leaving the business to his sons. Around the turn of the century, the two brothers built their first single cylinder automobile thus establishing the Auburn Automobile Company. Through the World War I period, they made rapid advancements in their designs, but commercial and financial success were more elusive. In 1919, the Eckhart brothers sold their controlling interest in the company to a group of wealthy businessmen from Chicago, including William Wrigley, Jr. - the owner of Wrigley Chewing Gum. The new investors were able to revive the business, but they failed to realize their anticipated profits. In 1924, the group approached the soon to be legendary Errett Loban Cord, a highly successful automobile salesman, with an offer to run the company. Through his ingenuity and business acumen, Cord was able to relatively quickly sell all of Auburn's unsold inventory and turn the fortunes of the company around. By 1926, Cord had taken control of the company and became the president of the Auburn Automobile Company.
Throughout the end of the 'Roaring Twenties' and into the early '30s, Cord quickly grew the business and began building his automotive empire through acquisition after acquisition of rival companies. By the middle of the decade, sales of Auburns had quickly plummeted which resulted in the reduction of the eight-cylinder and V-12 lines as well as the introduction of a more affordable six-cylinder line. In particular, 1934 was an extremely difficult year for the Auburn Automobile Company. The new models were late to the market and were not well received at the time. Moreover, due to the delay, Auburns were only in production for about six months that year making them among the rarest Auburns produced in the 1930s and now the most coveted. The 1934 model year was also bittersweet in that they were the last vehicles designed by master designer Alan Leamy who had previously designed the L-29 Cord and Model J Duesenberg. The Auburn Automobile Company would soldier on for another two years, but sadly this once great automotive dynasty came to an abrupt end in 1937 after the business went into receivership. It became another victim of the Great Depression, but not before establishing its legacy in automotive history.
The 1934 Auburn 652-Y Cabriolet offered here comes from the John Porbeck Estate. This particular Auburn features a nicely done, older restoration completed to correct standards, and the car remains in good running and driving condition. Mr. Porbeck used it for the annual Labor Day Festival parade in Auburn as well as lending it for display at the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum. Additionally, it has been certified by the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Club with Auburn number A278.
It is powered by a 210 cubic-inch inline-six cylinder Lycoming power plant mated to a three-speed manual transmission. In addition to four-wheel hydraulic brakes with power assist, the car is fitted with the highly desirable two-speed rear axle sourced from the Columbia Axle Company, one of the numerous firms E. L. Cord had previously acquired.
1934 marked the pinnacle of design for many automobile manufacturers. Auburn was no exception as the year produced arguably the most distinctive and desirable look for the marque. The tasteful hood side louvers, body molding lines and the work of art masterpiece which doubled as the grill, created the recipe of perfection. Nicely restored, lovingly preserved, and fully certified, this lovely two-tone green, and most desirable cabriolet body, is ready to be lovingly enjoyed by its next owner.
1934 Auburn 652-Y Cabriolet