• A CCCA Full Classic®
• Retains original woodwork
• Mechanically sorted and ready to enjoy
323.5 cid inline eight-cylinder L-head engine, 135 HP, Fluid Drive automatic transmission, independent front coil-spring suspension, rear semi-elliptic leaf springs; wheelbase: 127.5”
Walter P. Chrysler founded the Chrysler Corporation on June 6, 1925, when the Maxwell Motor Company was reorganized into the Chrysler Corporation. The Chrysler was initially a six-cylinder automobile, but Walter steered the management toward a full line offering, including everything from trucks to luxury cars. This period of great success earned Chrysler a place at the table in Detroit known as the Big Three.
Many of the cars that brought Chrysler through the war years and beyond were designed by Raymond H. Dietrich with the aid of Chrysler’s Art and Color Department. As swiftly as the production of civilian cars came to an abrupt halt at the onset of World War II, it was resumed at nearly twice the speed in 1946. The Big Three scrambled to meet the imminent demand of excited new car buyers; however, Chrysler did so with a bit more creative gusto that helped institute immediate demand for some of their new models. The height of luxury at the time was the Town & Country convertible.
One of the most memorable post-war Chryslers ever built, the Town & Country’s steel front end was all Town and the white ash wooden-bodied rear was all Country, and these elegant automobiles were equally at home in Manhattan or on your country estate.
This automobile is finished in the correct Chrysler Blue and the visual impact of the car is top shelf from any angle. The 1948 Town & Country is readily accepted at CCCA events and CARavans, as it is one of the most enjoyable and easy to drive Full Classics you can find. This car will also earn the lucky new owner an entrance into many events, and will be a hit at the National Woodie Club shows as well.
This example features lovely blue and cream leather upholstery that complements the cut-pile carpeting throughout the spacious cabin. The elegant interior includes the fully original dashboard, which is one of the great designs of the era, complete with the factory heater, clock and AM radio. It is all topped off by a matching Haartz cloth top that is appropriately fitted and power operated, and even the trunk is restored with the correct materials and includes the factory jack and spare.
The original woodwork is impressive on this car, with ash slats that are neatly finger joined, and refinished with just the right amount of gloss. All of the inserts are new, with the correct Di-Noc red mahogany, and the impact is immediate when you see the car.
The 323.5 cid L-head eight-cylinder engine readily finds a quiet idle upon starting and is very clean and nicely detailed. It is mated to the innovative semi-automatic Fluid Drive transmission and operates flawlessly. The wide whitewall tires and hubcaps are all in fine condition, making it obvious to anyone that this is a beautifully sorted luxury car that is fully capable on modern roads.
With only 8,368 built in 1948 and far fewer surviving, these big Chryslers have steadily been a top tier collector car, and that long history is a testament to the Town & Country’s lasting appeal among enthusiasts who recognize post-war elegance and usability at its best.
1948 Chrysler Town & Country Convertible Coupe